LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is a free 12-week small-group fitness program that engages adult cancer survivors through an approach that focuses on the whole person. Participants work with trained YMCA staff to build muscle strength and endurance, increase flexibility, improve energy levels, reduce the severity of treatment side effects, restore balance, and improve functional ability to complete everyday tasks. In addition to physical benefits, the program is also focused on the emotional well-being of survivors and their families by providing a supportive community environment where people affected by cancer can connect during treatment and beyond.
attend our SURVIVOR SUMMIT!
Thursday, September 21, 2023 from 4:00-7:00 pm
Fall 1: Monday & Wednesday 5:15-6:45 pm - Beginning September 11th, 2023
Fall 2: Tuesdays & Thursdays | 1:15-2:45 pm - Beginning September 12th, 2023
we are accepting interest forms for upcoming sessions
To be considered for this program, please complete the participant interest form below, by the deadline.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION:
September 3, 2023 for Fall 2023 Programs
Participant Interest Form (Must be filled out by survivor)
Fill out online, download and email to Jake Berger, Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or drop off at or mail to:
Fond du Lac Family YMCA, Attn: Jake Berger | 90 W. Second Street | Fond du Lac, WI | 54935
Or fax to: 920.921.3376
If you have any questions, please contact Jake Berger at 920.921.3330 x336.
The LIVESTRONG at the YMCA program includes:
• Free 12-week YMCA family membership
• Two 90-minute classes per week
• A combination of individual instruction and group activities
• Workouts include cardiovascular exercise, strength training, stretching, and balance work
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is for any adult who is currently going through cancer treatment or has gone through some form of cancer treatment (i.e. surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, etc.) in the past that wants to regain their health and well-being.
Participants are evaluated on an individual basis.
Survivors currently undergoing treatment may participate, but only if they receive medical clearance.
Criteria for participation
- Strong personal desire to be enrolled.
- Survivor must enroll himself or herself in the program.
- Personally committed to attend all classes.
- Must inform their physician of their plan to join the program.
- Complete our screening forms and answer health questionnaire.
- Give permission for LIVESTRONG at the YMCA instructors to call the physician or person giving treatment when necessary.
The enrollment decision will be made on an individual basis.
Advanced registration is required.
Class size is limited.
Goals of the program
- Improving strength and endurance
- Increasing flexibility and day-to-day activities
- Reducing the severity of therapy side effects
- Preventing unwanted weight changes
- Improve self esteem and energy levels
Certified fitness instructors undergo YMCA of the USA training. The instructors give individualized instruction and support to the participants.
"Research shows exercise is the simplest way for cancer survivors to reduce fatigue, improve their mood and bounce back from the debilitating effects of cancer treatment more quickly," said Andy Miller, LIVESTRONG® Foundation Executive Vice President.
THANK YOU TO OUR COMMUNITY SPONSORS