LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is a free 12-week small-group fitness program that engages adult cancer survivors through an approach that focuses on the whole person. Participants work with trained YMCA staff to build muscle strength and endurance, increase flexibility, improve energy levels, reduce the severity of treatment side effects, restore balance, and improve functional ability to complete everyday tasks. In addition to physical benefits, the program is also focused on the emotional well-being of survivors and their families by providing a supportive community environment where people affected by cancer can connect during treatment and beyond.
This program includes:
• Free 12-week YMCA family membership
• Two 90 minute classes per week
• A combination of individual instruction and group activities
• Workouts include cardiovascular exercise, strength training, stretching, and balance work
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is for any adult who is currently going through cancer treatment or has gone through some form of cancer treatment (i.e. surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, etc.) in the past that wants to regain their health and well-being.
Current Session Dates:
May 6 - July 29, 2019
Mondays & Wednesdays | 9:30 to 11 am
May 7 - July 30, 2019
Tuesdays & Thursdays | 5:00 to 6:30 pm
Now Recruiting For Upcoming Session Dates:
September 16 - December 4, 2019
Mondays & Wednesdays | 1:30 to 3:00 pm
September 17 - December 5, 2019
Tuesdays & Thursdays | 5:30 to 7 pm
To be considered for this program:
Participant Interest Form (Must be filled out by survivor)
Drop off at or mail to:
Fond du Lac Family YMCA, Attn: MJ Neumann | 90 W. Second Street | Fond du Lac, WI | 54935
Participants are evaluated on an individual basis.
Survivors currently undergoing treatment may participate, but only if they receive medical clearance.
Criteria for participation
- Strong personal desire to be enrolled.
- Survivor must enroll himself or herself in the program.
- Personally committed to attend all classes.
- Must inform their physician of their plan to join the program.
- Complete our screening forms and answer health questionnaire.
- Give permission for LIVESTRONG instructors to call the physician or person giving treatment when necessary.
The enrollment decision will be made on an individual basis.
Advanced registration is required.
Class size is limited.
Goals of the program
- Improving strength and endurance
- Increasing flexibility and day-to-day activities
- Reducing the severity of therapy side effects
- Preventing unwanted weight changes
- Improve self esteem and energy levels
Certified fitness instructors undergo YMCA of the USA training. The instructors give individualized instruction and support to the participants.
"Research shows exercise is the simplest way for cancer survivors to reduce fatigue, improve their mood and bounce back from the debilitating effects of cancer treatment more quickly," said Andy Miller, LIVESTRONG® Foundation Executive Vice President.