At the Fond du Lac Family YMCA, we take your health and safety very seriously. There has been a lot of news about the Coronavirus, known as COVID-19, as well as influenza. Unlike COVID-19, influenza is very prevalent in our community right now. Both viruses have similar symptoms, and both viruses have the potential to make someone very sick. Our community has the potential to mitigate influenzas spread, while at the same time creating good practices to mitigate other illnesses.
There are some simple steps from the Fond du Lac Health Department for us all to follow to help keep ourselves and our community healthy:
- Get a flu shot. Vaccine is still available at many locations. If you receive the flu vaccine and still get sick, you are less likely to pass the sickness on to other and recovery is quicker.
- If you or your child is sick, stay home until fever-free for 24 hours without taking any medication to help lessen a fever.
- Practice good hygiene. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use hand sanitizers if soap and water is not available, but hand sanitizers do not replace the use of soap and water.
- Practice social distancing. Keep a friendly distance between anyone who appears to have flu-like symptoms.
At the Fond du Lac Family YMCA, these are some precautions and actions that we are instilling:
- YMCA staff that are ill will be sent home and asked to stay out of work until they are symptom free.
- We are asking members who may be ill with a contagious condition to stay home and return to the Y when they are feeling better.
- As has been the policy, children in our care are required to stay out of the Y until a minimum of 24 hours after being deemed symptom free or longer if doctor recommended.
- Additional hand sanitizer stations are available to all. Antibacterial wipes are currently on back order and when received, we will have them available in our locker rooms.
- Locker Room doors will be propped open so that there are fewer hand contact surfaces.
- We are asking all members to clean equipment BEFORE and AFTER workouts with antibacterial wipes that we will provide when in stock or disinfectant spray and rags that are available in various areas.
- Our staff will be disinfecting hand contact surfaces throughout the facility on a frequent basis.
If you have questions, please feel free to email me at email@example.com.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation!
JJ Raflik, CEO/Executive Director